Schools are required to publish information which is updated annually showing how they comply with the Equality Duty and to set at least one equality objective every 4 years. The need to advance equality of opportunity is defined in the Equality Act 2010 as having due regard to the need to:
- Remove or minimise disadvantages.
- Take steps to meet different needs
- Encourage participation when it is disproportionately low.
This extends to the following protected characteristics:
- Age (as an employer, not regarding pupils)
- Sexual Orientation
- Pregnancy and Maternity
- Gender Reassignment
In our school we have used the Suffolk Equalities and Analysis Workbook for Primary Schools to help us identify any areas of our practice that may need improvement. The Workbook is not available on this website because our school population is so small, that individuals would be easily identified, even though the data is anonymous. However, a copy is kept in school for Ofsted Inspection.
Our pupil roll is currently as follows;
Mixed white & black caribbean
Pupils with Special Educational Needs
Pupils receiving SEND support
Pupils with Statement of SEN
Pupils with English as additional language
Pupils receiving Pupil Premium Grant
Our objectives from 2017-2021 are:
- Improve outcomes for boys in reading and writing so they are achieving at least as well as girls at the end of KS2.
- Increase the use of positive imagery.
- Reduce the number of homophobic incidents where children use ‘gay’ or similar as an insult.
A copy of our Equality Objectives Plan is also kept in school but is not published on the website due to small numbers of pupils making them identifiable. Progress towards the objectives was updated in May 2020.